I have been looking for an android app that will allow me to listen to podcasts… here comes Google Listen
Today is dedicated to “Google Listen”. As most of you know very well – like all other Google applications – there is no need for a windows/mac client for this as well. It plays back from the cloud/ supports Offline listening(added feature) “Complete Feature List“.
This app is not anywhere nearly popular like other Google apps… I couldn’t locate through the regular browse method…. A simple search showed it as 7th in the list…. a 550KB download … took couple of seconds to finish…. Shows that it was downloaded more than 250k times… An average rating of 4 – not bad considering that its not very popular even with supposedly good features…
Installation of Google Listen was pretty smooth and straightforward and learning how to use it in the process…
So now since its installed, lemme launch it… The first run asks me which google account would it want me to use (in this case I only have 1 account) select the account. It does ask permissions as well.
The 4 options under Download Settings makes a lot of sense for podcasts download.
1) Refresh Subscriptions – has multiple options… I choose manually since I need battery – I would have choosen everyday if I was listening to podcasts everyday & If I have many subscriptions..
2) Download new Audio – Not sure what this means…. Looks like if there is text and audio…
3) Only on Wi-Fi – This is the best option I have seen so far on this….. I defenitely donot want getting billed for per MB when I have a great broadband @ Home…
1) Audio Storage – I choose 10 – since I donot want to keep listened items for long…
2) Clear Cache – Excellent option – to clear out once u’r weekly “listening” is done…
As I said above – I wanted this application only for podcasts – Let me try to add Engadget Podcast to it first… A simple search gave me a list – but nothing close to the latest ones… The latest I saw on the search was podcast number 219 and not 223 which is the latest… Not sure whom to blame… google for not pulling it up or Engadget for not putting them “up” for search… So let me try the other options…. add the rss feed link directly… <B
http://podcasts.engadget.com/rss.xml It pulled up the below screen complete with “subscribe”, “queue” & “Mark all…” options – I subscribed to it… I went back and refreshed the page and it pulled the same again – Now since I had listened to all the previous podcasts it didnot make sense to keep the other 2 unread.. So a long press and marked as listened – Good.
After marking Episode 220 & 221 as listened, I did “Add to Queue” on Episode 222. Went back to see whether its being downloaded on wifi connection – and yes its downloading … great…
Here are the list of PODcasts that I listen to regularly:
1) Engadget podcast
2) Engadget Show (pod/video casts – as u want to call it)
3) Windows Weekly
4) this WEEK in GOOGLE
Download “Listen” through QR Code: